Stay informed with our newsletter.

Icon
Trending
May 21, 2026

Laser hair removal device triggers bomb scare at Melbourne airport

A laser hair removal device caused a bomb scare at Melbourne Airport after it was mistaken for a suspicious item during security screening. Authorities responded quickly, triggering safety protocols and temporary disruptions at the airport. The situation was later resolved after officials identified the device and confirmed there was no threat to passengers or staff. The incident highlights the strict security measures in place at major airports and how everyday electronic items can sometimes lead to unexpected alarms.

Melbourne’s Avalon Airport faced hours of disruption on Thursday after a laser hair removal gadget and a container of hot chocolate powder triggered a major bomb scare.

Emergency crews rushed to the airport, located about 50km south-west of Melbourne, shortly before 6am after security staff discovered a suspicious package during routine screening. The alert caused delays to several domestic flights, while international services continued as normal.

Specialist bomb squad officers later examined the bag and confirmed the contents were harmless, a laser hair removal device alongside packaging for hot chocolate.

Authorities temporarily detained the bag’s owner before releasing him once the investigation wrapped up. Airport operations resumed roughly four hours laterVictoria Police Acting Inspector Nick Uebergang said the incident dragged on because the passenger was initially uncooperative with officers.

According to police, the man’s lack of cooperation made the situation more complicated and delayed efforts to quickly clear the airport.

Officials noted the disruption could have ended sooner if communication with investigators had been smoother from the beginning. Police confirmed the Melbourne man was ultimately not charged over the incident.

An Avalon Airport spokesperson praised the rapid response, saying the incident highlighted the effectiveness of the airport’s strict security screening procedures designed to protect passengers, staff and the wider public.

Travellers caught in the lockdown described scenes of confusion and uncertainty as police vehicles surrounded the airport. One passenger told local radio they arrived around 7am just as the shutdown began, with little information available about what had happened.

The traveller added that the heavy police presence made it clear authorities were responding to a serious security concern. Passenger Manjeet Singh, who was travelling to Brisbane, said people were instructed to remain in the car park during the emergency response.

He also complained about the lack of facilities, saying stranded passengers had no access to bathrooms, refreshments or basic assistance while waiting outside. Budget airline Jetstar, owned by Qantas, operates both domestic and international flights through Avalon Airport, Victoria’s second-busiest aviation hub. The disruption led to the cancellation of two domestic flights, including services to and from Sydney, while several other flights experienced lengthy delays.

For questions or comments write to contactus@bostonbrandmedia.com

Source: BBC

Stay informed with our newsletter.

Similar News